Welcome to the Oath Privacy Center
Last updated: April 2018
Our privacy pledge
We believe you should have tools to control your information. You can find controls to manage or review your account information, marketing preferences, location data and search history at Privacy Controls. Some of our Services provide additional controls and privacy practices. (See details for specific products and services)
Information collection and use – general
We may collect and combine information when you interact with Oath Services including:
- Information you provide to us. We may collect the information that you provide to us, such as:
- When you create an account with an Oath Service or brand. (Please note, when your use our Services, we may recognise you or your devices even if you are not signed in to our Services.) Oath may use device IDs, cookies and other signals, including information obtained from third parties, to associate accounts and/or devices with you.
- When you use our Services to communicate with others or post, upload or store content (such as comments, photos, voice inputs, videos, emails, messaging services and attachments).
- Oath analyses and stores all communications content, including email content from incoming and outgoing emails. This allows us to deliver, personalise and develop relevant features, content, advertising and Services.
- When you otherwise use our Services, such as title queries, watch history, page views, search queries, view the content we make available and install any Oath software such as plugins.
- When you sign up for paid Services, use Services that require your financial information or complete transactions with us or our business partners, we may collect your payment and billing information.
- Device information. We collect information from your devices (computers, mobile phones, tablets, etc.), including information about how you interact with our Services and those of our third-party partners and information that allows us to recognise and associate your activity across devices and Services. This information includes device specific identifiers and information such as IP address, cookie information, mobile device and advertising identifiers, browser version, operating system type and version, mobile network information, device settings and software data. We may recognise your devices to provide you with personalised experiences and advertising across the devices you use.
- Location information. We collect location information from a variety of sources. You can learn more about and manage your location permissions on our Locations page and by visiting the location settings tool on your devices.
- Information from cookies and other technologies.
- We collect information when you access content, advertising, sites, interactive widgets, applications and other products (both on and off of our Services) where Oath’s data collection technologies (such as web beacons, development tools, cookies and other technologies, etc.) are present. These data collection technologies allow us to understand your activity on and off our Services and to collect and store information when you interact with Services we offer to partners.
- This information includes the kind of content or ads served, viewed or clicked on; the frequency and duration of your activities; the sites or apps you used before accessing our Services and where you went next; whether you engaged with specific content or ads; and whether you went on to visit an advertiser's website, downloaded an advertiser’s app, purchased a product or service advertised or took other actions.
- Information from others. We collect information about you when we receive it from other users, third parties and affiliates, such as:
- When you connect your account to third-party services or sign in using a third-party partner (such as Facebook or Twitter).
- From publicly available sources.
- From advertisers about your experiences or interactions with their offerings.
- When we obtain information from third parties or other companies, such as those that use our Services. This may include your activity on other sites and apps as well as information that those third parties provide to you or us.
How we use this information
We are able to deliver, personalise and improve our Services by combining and using the information that we have about you (including information that we receive on and off our Services) to understand how you use and interact with our Services and the people or things that you’re connected to and interested in. We collect, use and disclose the information that we have about you for the following purposes:
- Provide, maintain, improve and develop relevant features, content and Services.
- Analyse your content and other information (including emails, instant messages, posts photos, attachments and other communications). You can review and control certain types of information tied to your Oath account by using Privacy Controls.
- Fulfil your requests and when authorised by you.
- Help advertisers and publishers connect to offer relevant advertising in their apps and websites.
- Match and serve targeted advertising (across devices and both on and off of our Services) and provide targeted advertising based on your device activity, inferred interests and location information.
- Contact you with information about your account or with marketing messages, which you can also control.
- Associate your activity across our Services and your different devices as well as associate any accounts you can use across Oath Services together. We may associate activity and accounts under a single user ID.
- Carry out or support promotions.
- Conduct research and support innovation.
- Create analytics and reports for external parties, including partners, publishers, advertisers, apps, third parties and the public regarding the use of and trends within our Services and ads, including showing trends to partners regarding general preferences, the effectiveness of ads and information on user experiences. These analytics and reports may include aggregate or pseudonymised information.
- Provide location-based Services, advertising, search results and other content consistent with your location settings.
- Combine information that we have about you with information that we obtain from business partners or other companies, such as your activities on other sites and apps.
- Detect and defend against fraudulent, abusive or unlawful activity.
We provide you with controls to manage your experience with us. For example, you can review or edit your account information, manage your marketing preferences or opt out of targeted ads. If you opt out, you will continue to see ads, but they may not be as relevant or useful to you.
How we share this information
- With your consent. We will share information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of Oath when we have your consent.
- Within Oath. Information may also be shared within Oath, including with other Oath Services and affiliates. Oath affiliates may use the information in a manner consistent with their privacy policies.
- With partners. We may share your information with non-affiliated companies who are:
- Trusted partners. We provide user information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Oath based on our directions and in compliance with appropriate confidentiality measures. Learn more.
- Advertising, analytics and business partners (limited to non-personally identifiable information). We may share aggregated or pseudonymous information (including demographic information) with partners, such as publishers, advertisers, measurement analytics, apps or other companies. For example, we may tell an advertiser how its ads performed or report how many people installed an app after seeing a promotion. We do not share information that personally identifies you (personally identifiable information includes information such as your name or email address) with these partners, such as publishers, advertisers, measurement analytics, apps or other companies.
When you use third-party apps, websites or other products integrated with our Services, they may collect information about your activities subject to their own terms and privacy policies.
- For legal purposes. We may access, preserve and disclose information to investigate, prevent or take action in connection with: (i) legal process and legal requests; (ii) enforcement of the Terms</a>; (iii) claims that any content violates the rights of third parties; (iv) requests for customer service; (v) technical issues; (v) protecting the rights, property or personal safety of Oath, its users or the public; (vi) establishing or exercising our legal rights or defending against legal claims; or (vii) as otherwise required by law.
- This may include responding to lawful governmental requests. Learn more about how we evaluate and respond to these requests.
- New ownership. If the ownership or control of all or part of Verizon, Oath or a specific Service changes as a result of a merger, acquisition or sale of assets, we may transfer your information to the new owner.
Additional privacy practices for certain Oath Services are included here.
Information security and data retention
Oath has technical, administrative and physical safeguards in place to help protect against unauthorised access, use or disclosure of customer information that we collect or store.
To learn more about security, including the steps we have taken and steps you can take, please read Security at Oath.
Protecting children’s privacy
Our Services are for a general audience. We do not knowingly collect, use or share information that could reasonably be used to identify children under the age of 13 without prior parental consent or consistent with applicable law. With parental permission, a child under the age of 13 might have an Oath family account.
Data processing and transfers
Oath may process information related to individuals in the EU/EEA and may transfer that information from the EU/EEA through various compliance mechanisms, including data processing agreements based on the EU/EEA Standard Contractual Clauses. By using our Services, you consent to us transferring information about you to these countries. For more information, please visit our Data transfer page.
Other important information
Questions & suggestions
If you have questions, suggestions or wish to make a complaint, please complete a feedback form, or you can contact us at:
Data Protection Officer
60 Anson Road #13-01