In order to deliver our Services to you, we process your information in different ways and for different purposes. Below, we detail the purposes for which we process your information and the primary legal grounds for each.
Oath will process your information where necessary to perform the contract between you and us. Oath will process your information to operate and deliver our Services requested by you. For example, personalisation lies at the core of many of our Services. We can only provide many of these Services by using your information to provide such personalisation, such as content based on your device activity, inferred interests, location and other information that we have about you.
Oath will process your information in different ways where you give us your consent. For example, with your consent, we will:
- Serve personalised ads to you based on your device activity, inferred interests, location and other information that we have about you.
Allow our trusted partners to provide personalised ads to you on our Services.
Use automated technology to analyse your content and other information (including incoming and outgoing emails, instant messages, posts photos, attachments and other communications) to make the content, Services and ads we provide to you more personalised (except in BT | Yahoo Mail).
Process information with special protections such as information about your health.
Oath will process your information when required to do so for compliance with its legal obligations. For example, Oath may be required by law in certain circumstances to disclose your information to government agencies pursuant to binding legal process.
Oath will process your information where necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of third parties, except where such interests are overridden by your rights, freedoms or interests. For example, we will process your information to:
- Perform analytics on our Services for our legitimate interests of optimising the performance of our Services and improving and developing innovative and relevant features.
- Detect and defend against fraudulent, abusive or unlawful activity and for our legitimate interest of keeping our Services safe and secure. To learn more about security, please read Security at Oath.
- Contact you with information about your account or with direct marketing messages for our legitimate interest of promoting our Services to you.
- Create reports on user engagement and trends within our Services for our legitimate interest of making our Services more attractive to our advertising partners.
- Combine information that we have about you with information that we obtain from business partners or other companies, such as your activity on other sites and apps for our legitimate interest of ensuring that the Services we provide to you are more suited to your interests.
Oath may rely on other legal bases to process your information, such as to protect a user’s vital interests (for example, where there is a risk of imminent harm).
Under European data protection law, you have different rights regarding how your information is processed. To learn more about how Oath uses your information, please visit our Privacy Centre. To review and manage your privacy settings, please visit our Privacy Dashboard.