Data Storage and Anonymization
In order to provide products and services, Yahoo7 collects and stores information from user account registration, and site and app usage. We generally refer to the information we collect in connection with site and app usage as ‘user log data’.
Yahoo7’s policy is to de-identify Yahoo7 search user log data within 18 months of collection, with limited exceptions such as to meet legal obligations.
In addition to the other purposes for which we collect information, other types of log data (not relating to searches, such as ad views, ad clicks, page views and page clicks) are retained for a longer period in order to power innovative product development, provide personalised and customised services, and better enable our security systems to detect and defend against fraudulent activity. We describe the data we store as well as our processes in more detail here.
You can also modify information that you have provided to Yahoo7 through the Yahoo7 products or services you may use.
- When you register with Yahoo7 or submit information to Yahoo7, a copy of that information is routinely made to prevent accidental loss of your information through a computer malfunction or human error and to provide internal analysis and service of our systems.
- Yahoo7 may keep your account information in order to provide immediate access to your personalisation preferences each time you visit Yahoo7.
- If you ask Yahoo7 to delete your Yahoo7 account, in most cases your account will be deactivated and then deleted from our user registration database in approximately 40 days, unless we’re prevented from doing so due to technical, legal, abuse detection and prevention, or other limitations. Longer hold periods exist for accounts registered in: Australia or New Zealand (approx. 90 days); Brazil or Taiwan (approx. 180 days), unless we’re prevented from doing so due to technical, legal or other limitations. These delays are necessary to discourage users from engaging in fraudulent activity.
- Account information may be retained for a longer period when required by law. For example, our paid Fantasy Sports products may be required to retain account information and user activity records for longer periods to meet legal and regulatory obligations in certain jurisdictions.
- Some, but not all, Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that you provided to that Service. Yahoo7 may retain your content for a period of time for backup, archival, legal preservation or audit purposes.
- Please note that any information that we have copied may remain in back-up storage for some period of time after your deletion request. This may be the case even though no account information remains in our active user databases.
Server log files
- The Yahoo7 computers (called ‘servers’) that send you content and advertising process and store an enormous amount of information every day. These computer records are called ‘log files’.
- Log files are used for analysis, research, auditing and other purposes, as described above. Until the information is stored, your Yahoo7 ID may remain in our active server log files.
- Yahoo7’s de-identification policy applies only to Yahoo Search log data. Yahoo7 stores this data in an identifiable form for up to 18 months.
- IP addresses within Yahoo Search user log data will be de-identified or deleted within 6 months from the time of collection.